Monday, April 28, 2008

Let me introduce...


Otto has been doing so great! These latest medicines (there’s 2 of them) have not shown any side effects and have revealed to me a child I have not seen in a while and in some respects....EVER!!!!! Remember, this was our 4th try of medicine. We went to see a child psychiatrist and she prescribed these 2 new ones. I prayed and said, “God, if you don’t want Otto to be on meds then please let side effects flare up and I’ll be done, no more tries! But if it’s ok for him to be on meds then please let these ones work and give us some relief! Let us have our boy back!”
I can not even begin to describe how great things have been! He’s been more calm which is a huge plus! But he’s also seemed more mature. With the calmness, he also has become quite the conversationalist! He and I have been having some great conversations! It has been so amazing! He has such a great memory! He reminded me recently of something I did with him when I rocked him in Guatemala. I feel like I’m getting to know my son in a whole new way! God has given me a precious gift and I’m so thankful!
And we had our 1st spiritual conversation which threw me for a total loop! Otto loves to pray and does so on his own often but he has never asked me a question about God. We were laying on my bed looking out the window and it was windy. I said, “It’s windy outside today.” He said, “Why is it windy?” Rather than explain the logistics behind what causes wind (which I wouldn’t have been able to do anyway! LOL), I said, “Because God decided it was gonna be windy today.” Then came the beautiful words, the first spiritual question from my little boy, he said, “Where’s God?” At first I was so thrown for a loop I was speechless! I thought to myself, “Where IS God?! How am I going to explain this?!” So I told him that God is everywhere, He’s always with us, He’s in our hearts, He’s everywhere! He started pointing around the room asking, “Is He there?” I’d say, “yep!” He’d point to a new place and ask again and I’d respond the same way again! He lifted the blanket and asked, “Is He under there?” I said, “yep.” It was to die for. The next day it was raining so I said, “I guess God decided it was gonna rain today. Everything needed a drink!” Otto said, “I can’t see God.” Oh boy, I thought, how do I explain this one? I told him we can’t really see Him with our eyes but He’s there, He’s always with us. I pray for wisdom to answer my son’s questions. I feel like I’m entering a new stage here with Otto and I LOVE IT!!!!!!!!!
Even though the meds are helping a ton we still have our issues but they just seem so much easier to deal with! He goes to play therapy once a week for anxiety and ADHD. This week we’ll find out the results of his genetics testing to see if the mental retardation is due to a genetic disorder or not.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I wish I could be there to talk with Otto - to see this new change in him - to see some of the real him coming out! I'm so thrilled for you, Jenn! Reading about him asking you questions about God, I couldn't help but cry tears of joy! As a Mom, I can understand, but as a Mom with a "special" child (I know, they're ALL special! LOL), I can understand even more about that break-through you see! Praise God, sista!!! Oh my, oh my, oh my!!! That's such GREAT news! His memory of something you did back in Guatemala... WOW! What a smart cookie you've got on your hands there! I'll continue praying that these meds will do what's needed for him, that you'll continue to be able to see these doctors that seem to be on the right track with him, and that any other unanswered questions you guys might have will be answered soon enough... or at least that God will continue teaching you patience!

Oh Jenn, I'm so happy for you! And for Aaron! And for Owen! (I know the behavior we all have effects everyone around us!) And so much for sweet Otto!!! Woo-hoo! Thanks, God!!!

I love you all!

Anonymous said...

Hey Jenn,
I am so sorry for the loss of your team members.

How old is Otto? It sounds like he has such a tender heart for God.

How are you doing down there? What is your average day like? I'd love to hear more. :)

Anonymous said...

Jenn,

Elated to here that Otto is doing well. I can't wait to hear the conversations ahead. Let's hope he doesn't listen to Aaron too much...those could be some crazy conversations

Anonymous said...

Jen you are doing such a great Job! God knew what He was doing when he gave you that child.

Anonymous said...

Again I sit here with tears. I'm reading all of this backwards...but what else is new.

What an incredible gift. I love being able to rejoice with you. Just like Joshua....the mind is an incredible thing...especially when it becomes unlocked.
Much love my dear friend.
Angel